If you are wondering why someone who is researching and so vehemently anti bullying in all its forms is observing #twitter silence:
- First and foremost, there shouldn’t even HAVE to be a #twittersilence. People should know better. Threatening rape or violence of any kind is wrong. Actually committing these crimes is even worse.
- People who have made these threats online should be banned. (Of course this is almost impossible to enforce.)
- People who commit rape- well there is a special place in hell for them. IMO there should be universal rules for committing this crime. (Again nearly impossible to enforce.)
- There’s a difference between being silent for a day and silent forever.
- If everyone who believed in the above was silent on Twitter for one day, who would be left? The bullies. They wouldn’t have thousands of tweets to hide behind.
If you are not participating, that’s fine. I understand that some people think that being silent is the worst thing people can do. OK, I take your point there.
However, it has been my own personal experience that “telling” on the bullies has made no difference. It has been my own experience that it only makes them come at me harder. It’s been my experience that confronting them has not helped (me). Explaining to them that they are wrong and that their views are incorrect only have left me exhausted and nowhere closer to peace of mind.
So, what do I think will help? Eliminating the culture that perpetuates bullying, violence, and rape. Educating young children from the start that bullying is unacceptable in all its forms. Educating adults at work that sexual harassment and bullying is unacceptable behaviour and that if you do these things you will be fired.
The culture of bullying, rape, and violence is wrong. End of.
This is why I am keeping silent (although when I post this link on Facebook it will post on Twitter.)
Rape crisis UK & Wales- 0808 802 9999
Rape crisis Scotland- 08088 01 0302
National Sexual Assault hotline USA-1-800-656-HOPE