The Great Scottish Run 10K

This wasn’t my first 10K.  it was my third, and despite not having been able to train fully, I was finally healthy and ready to go.  However, I was running on maybe 3 hours of sleep because of the playoffs (like I could sleep while they were playing-kicking ass and taking names!) and my normal insomnia before important events.

(If anyone would still like to donate to my fundraising run page, it would be grateful so I don’t need to put in all the funds on my own!)

I fell asleep around 3, tossed and turned and woke up on my own at half 6.  I didn’t need to be up and awake for another hour and a half, and I was really annoyed at being awake.  I tried to rest for as long as possible and then got dressed in my running gear, made sure I had my Garmin, my bib, Nuun, and some cash.  I ate some pumpkin loaf, and then headed off to the subway.    I arrived in plenty of time to have a coffee at Starbucks, where I people watched and kind of felt sorry for myself, since I was on my own and so many people were out with friends and family.

I headed to the start at George Square and got in the queue for the porta-loos.  This was probably the worse queue I’ve ever seen in my life.  There were maybe 7 loos, and the queue was at least 350 people long, probably more.  I was in the queue for 45 minutes.  Seriously.  Not very organized.  They made an announcement that there were more loos in the corral starts, which there were, but only a few, and the queues there were long.

I finally was able to use the loo, and then headed to my start position, way in the back.  Of course I had to pee again, so I got in the queue and was done just in time for my corral to head to the start.

The race started off up a hill (lovely) but then flatted out.  I hadn’t been able to look at the race map online (it wouldn’t zoom in for me) so I really had no idea where I was going, (but that I would end up at the Glasgow Green).  We ended up heading towards the motorway, where we actually ran on the motorway, as we headed toward Partick (where I live, and toward the path I run normally).  We headed off the motorway and around the Riverside Museum and then back down toward the city centre via a loop on the squinty bridge.

This brought me to the halfway point of 5K (45.43 for me, which I believe is a PR!) and 10K steps, as my Fitbit went off at the same time.  I scarfed down a Gu gel at this point for some energy and fuel.  I had never had one before (I know, bad idea but I was never in a position to have needed one before.  It was really sweet, but fine.)

I was so glad at 5.5K that there was water and porta-loos because I had to pee so bad at this point.

I continued on, feeling much better after the Gu.  I was also feeling confident after the 5K time.  The K markers continued and I ran as much as I could.  I took walk breaks when I needed, but wanted to run as much as possible.

Around the 8K marker, my right knee began to hurt.  I knew I needed to stretch or rest, but I knew I was almost done, and I knew I could get through it.  I pushed on and realized that I was really close to my dream time of 90 minutes.

I crossed the line at 1:35 (my official time is 1.37, but I know 2 minutes of that was my pee break!)


I returned my chip, got water, and my shirt, bag, and medal, and immediately headed for the subway.  In hindsight, I should have seen if there were any PT type things around to have my knee/calf taped up, but I was tired and wanted to go home.

I did feel good about my time and my accomplishment for about 10 minutes.  Then I began playing the compare game and felt really crappy about my time; a time that most people can do a half marathon in.  I immediately felt horrible and depressed about my abilities, or lack thereof. (To be followed up on in another post.)

I really liked the race, but there could have been more loos, and I didn’t see any volunteer race marshals at all.  I volunteered at this race last year and there were plenty of us about.  I know they made changes to the course this year, so perhaps that is why.


  1. 08/10/2013 / 07:35

    You’re following some *very* fast people if you think that most of them could run a 1:35 half marathon. And so what if they can? My coach can average over 100 miles a pace which I can’t sustain for a mile. But I will still celebrate every PB because it’s the result of my effort and my training and my improvement. And three years ago I couldn’t run for a bus.
    Abradypus recently posted…VolunteeringMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge